Thursday, May 22, 2014

New Ideas: Thoughts on a Vow

I have respect for many in the military, and both of my grandfathers helped in the war effort, one in WWII, the other Korea, but the pledge of allegiance never helped me respect or love the United States. All it did was annoy me. If the patriotism of growing students in this era appears so abysmal that it warrants the continuance of a 100+ year tradition, then I can tell you that such students will not become patriotic through such a shallow means. Nationalism is altogether a negative trait in the realm of global affairs, and true patriotism is not a trait that can be forced through fear, indoctrination or appeal to authority. Kids and teens learn to form an opinion about their country as they begin to understand its history, environment and present politics. A vow to a flag cannot act as a substitute for education.

One of the main reasons fewer and fewer identify themselves as patriotic is because the original values this country was founded on are being eroded away by the government itself. Maybe if we didn't live in a police state, the constitution would still hold some merit and more would choose to fight for this country, but for many in the new generation, the pledge of allegiance is just a joke. It was used as a way to boost patriotism in the late 19th century, so it really should not be surprising that it has lost its value as the world has become more integrated through technology.

Patriotism is ultimately a commonality of values and their joint defense. When the original values of a country are discarded by said country, the nation which once supported such freedoms no longer exists as a reality, and the new country under the same name does not deserve the respect of the populace. I can devote myself to the country the Founding Fathers wished to construct, but that is not the same as devoting myself to the current United States. My allegiance is to my values and what happens to uphold them, and the only example I know of is the government on High, which does have my respect.


As I am sure I have mentioned before, I dislike traditions quite a bit. I was never a fan of the "Lord's Prayer", or pretty much anything I found repetitive. Allegiance to something is expressed through action, not words. Worship is similar, and my soul was never moved by reading someone else's prayer out loud. I require something genuine and personal to be spiritually stimulated, and I feel like this is true for more and more individuals in this day and age.

No comments:

Post a Comment